Sunday, September 6, 2009

Mordecai's Grandson

Most people know that I was born in Kentucky and I am buried in Illinois but maybe they don't know that some of my roots are anchored right here in Berks County. Great great grandpa Mordecai moved here with Great Grandpa John at a time when Berks County was still a part of Chester County. Today, the house that they lived in is listed on the National Historic Register. Find the house on the road named after my family and from the historic marker, drive 1.4 miles east. When you see the white fence, turn left into the second driveway and park your car.

Walk past the white gazebo and head for the shrubbery. When you find the cluster which consists of three yews and two blue cedar, duck into the nook created by the second cedar and the second and third yews. Facing the road, look on the lower branches of the yew to the right. The shrubs form a perfect hiding spot for stamping in.

Length of walk: .1 mile
Elevation: 5 feet
Date Planted: 09/07/09
Color needed for stamp: Black

5/8/10 Edited to add: When my sister and I went to check on this box last week, it was gone. The next day I received an email from some people who maintain the land where the box was hidden. They had found the box while doing some maintenance and didn't know what it was so they removed it. When I explained its purpose, they were very excited about the idea and put the box back. Please appreciate what is being done with this area when you visit. The work here is something that is unique to me and I am very glad that I found this location.

No comments:

Post a Comment